Who’s excited for fall??? I used to say that I loved all seasons, they each have their own personality and fun. But I mean fall! All the colors of the leaves, just bursting out in flavors of red and orange hues before they fade away to winter. And of course, all the lovely and warm comfort foods! What better than Autumnal Morning Glory Muffins to start of your day as we enter the fall season?
According to some basic web search, these were first incepted in New England in the 1970s/80s in a local cafe. But since then, Morning Glory Muffins have become an American favorite. Most recipes call for some mix of fresh and dried fruit combined into a spiced quick bread with “healthy” ingredients such as whole wheat flour. And essentially its sort of a combination of carrot cake and apple cake and other fruits that somehow fuses together in this glorious breakfast bread.
And this is my take on the classic with a twist of autumn flavors! I’ve seen Morning Glory Muffins with ingredients like pineapple and coconut, and as much as they have their place, they don’t quite scream fall to me. So instead, I’m doubling down on the apple, cinnamon, maple syrup flavors for this incredible breakfast quick bread!
Yep I said quick bread! Cause it’s one you can just throw together in the morning and have it in just about 1 hour. Less than 1 if you’re super speedy to gather ingredients, such as grating the carrots and pureeing the apple. Don’t worry, it’s still super simple, just a whole lot of wholesome ingredients jam-packed for breakfast. And to make it even healthier, we’ve got some whole wheat flour, flaxseed, and the quintessential carrot for extra fiber. Not to mention a hint of yogurt to moisten all this deliciousness, this muffin is just what we need for fall.
Autumnal Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple puree (1 big apple or 2 small, peeled and cored)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease or line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flours, spices, baking soda, salt, flaxseed).
- Stir in the shredded carrots into the dry flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add in sugar and beat till well combined. Then stir in the rest of the wet ingredients (yogurt, vanilla, oil, apple puree, maple syrup).
- Using a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until combined. Stir in the pecans.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin. Each should be fairly full.
- Bake for 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
- Adapted from King Arthur Baking
- For the shredded carrot, use a medium sized hole in the grater, like one size larger than you would use to zest a lemon.
- To make the apple puree, peel and core the apple(s). Cut the apple into slices and blend using an immersion blender or food processor. If you don't have any appliance to cut down the apple, smash it by hand and/or finely dice the apples.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @vanillawhisk on Instagram