Okay, coconut is actually optional here, but about the butterscotch, ya gotta keep that goodness in these blondies! When I was younger, I used to borrow cookbooks from the library all the time and one of my favorite series was by Cooking Light. I would scour the pages for pretty pictures of desserts that I could realistically make with the limited kitchen supplies and ingredients I had. So simple cakes and cookies were often my go-to. And then I found this butterscotch blondie recipe! My, oh my, was it delish!! I’d make it all the time and bring it to parties, or meetings, or anything I could use as an excuse to make them. And seriously, everybody loved it! I mean maybe they could have used a bit of change, but literally nothing can go wrong with these blondies.
I adapted the recipe from Cooking Light, using a bit less sugar, since my older health conscious brain says that my body doesn’t really need to consume so much sugar these days. Just a little bit of sweetness a day is perfect enough.
And unlike brownies, these blondies are a bit cake-ier, so they maintain their shape well, and don’t fall apart too easily. Makes them great for a party snack, might I say – wink, wink.
What I love so much about this recipe is that you don’t need special equipment like a hand mixer or a stand mixer or those fancy gadgets you might not have when you first start off baking. All you really need is simply any bowl and a fork to stir with, though a measuring cup would be very helpful haha. Back before I had dry ingredient measuring cups, I would use a liquid one – but be careful – dry ingredient cups are a tad smaller, like one dry measuring cup is 2 tablespoons less than a liquid cup. So make sure to size down to prevent making a crumbly, dry bar!
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, divided (2 egg whites, 1 yolk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup coconut shavings, sweetened
- Blend the butter and sugars together in a bowl.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix in the flour mixture into the wet mixture (butter-sugar-egg).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 8-in square pan.
- Fold in the butterscotch chips and half of the coconut shavings.
- Spread the batter evenly onto the pan and sprinkle the rest of the coconut shavings on top.
- Bake for 25 min, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan. Enjoy!
- I like to save the wax paper that butter sticks come in and use it to grease my pans – no need for extra oil or a spray can!
- Adapted from Cooking Light
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @vanillawhisk on Instagram